Tuesday, October 17, 2017

2017 - One of Us



"One of Us" 


A new documentary about people leaving insular Hasidic communities.

As someone who is passionate about choice, I was recruited by Footsteps 4 years ago to establish their Rockland Location and Family Justice programs. As someone who was raised and ultimately left my insular Hasidic Community, I was a perfect fit for this role.

In the documentary One of Us, I am featured in my role as counselor. I provide support and guidance to Etty - one of the characters in the film.

Footsteps is an organization now in it’s 14th year, which began with Malky Schwartz, a young woman who left her community and was taken in by a secular grandparent. Recognizing her own vulnerability and how fortunate she was to have someone take her in, she started Footsteps to create spaces for other people like her, to find the support they need.

I myself left the community before Footsteps existed, and I am acutely aware of how different my journey could have been, had Footsteps been around at that time. Therefore I am passionate about and committed to this work alongside my private practice as a Coach, Counselor and Officiant.

I am proud of the work that I do, and I am proud to be a part of this important documentary. The people at Loki Films were extraordinarily mindful of privacy and confidentiality throughout their three years working on this film. Feel free to reach out to me as always, with any thoughts, concerns, feelings or comments.

Once available, I will share a link to some Q&A and discussion topics for people who would like to host a screening in their home, and/or understand more about the work.

The documentary will be shown at a limited number of screenings  and will premier on Netflix after October 20th.

Link to Trailer 


Link to IFC screenings

Link to JCC screening

Link to Footsteps

Link to ONE OF US page

No comments:

Post a Comment