Friday, October 27, 2017

2017 - Processing "One of Us"

Processing "One of Us" 

In the days before One of Us premiered, I was fluctuating between apprehension and anticipation. In the days since, I find myself marking the time since the world has had the opportunity to hear and see these stories.


I have been hearing from many of you. Some of you are asking what you can do with your feelings of being triggered by your own experiences so closely related to the ones showcased on the screen.
Some of you are asking how you can help or what you can do.  Even in that question, there is usually a follow up of what do I do with my feelings.
And many are shocked that this is going on in our backyards and we didn’t even know…

First, be kind and gentle with yourself.
This might mean taking a bubble bath
Taking a walk
Going for a run
Writing in your Journal
Meeting a friend for coffee


Share your feelings
Hug each other
And be nice to you.
Most of all, be gentle with yourself and allow your emotions the space they need.
You alone know what you need, please give yourself that gift.

For those of you who want to know how to help; Please Donate to Footsteps.
Footsteps helps many Ettys, Aris and Luzers in all genders and in all stages of their transition.

For those of you who are shocked or appalled by what you have witnessed by watching the film- The sad truth is that there are marginalized communities in all of our backyards! I am so grateful that this film was made so that it can shine a light and expose this particular truth.

How appropriate that this week’s Torah Portion is Parshat Lech Lecha, Genesis 12:1.
Usually translated, “Go forth from your land, from the place that you were born, from your father’s house, to a land that I will show you.”
In Hebrew it can mean Lech - “Go!” Le-cha -  “Toward Yourself.”
In other words, go towards YOUR truth, YOUR purpose, and YOUR life.  Even if it means that you are leaving behind your comfort zone, your previous community, your family.

I bless us all to remember that the texts that we grew up, whose meaning was fed to us (and sometimes even forced down our throats) can be redefined by us even as we chart a new course for ourselves.

As we leave our comfort zone, I will share with you the words of a Karen Drucker song:  “I will be gentle with myself, and I will only go as fast as the slowest part of me feels safe to go.”
Please after the release of this documentary – be gentle with yourself and with each other.


I have appointments available, feel free to reach out and schedule some time to talk.
Hope you enjoy the beautiful fall weather.
Shabbat Shalom
201-477-0274

No comments:

Post a Comment