Friday, October 30, 2015

2015 - Leaning Into Discomfort

Dear Friends, 


Life is a constant series of changes, and some times when I change, I notice this uncomfortable feeling and sometimes that feeling overwhelms me. Every time I step more and more into my power, into who I am meant to be, into what is next for me, I feel embarrassed and awkward.

It is difficult enough when I feel it, what makes almost unbearable is sharing it with others. It feels so vulnerable, as if I am standing naked, stripped of defenses.

Sometimes in 2014, I realized that once again, My website was out of date and that I needed to update it.  This happens every few years. Websites, like clothing or hairstyles, go out of style and need to be revised. In addition, I change and so the content of my website needs to be updated along with me.

The journey began, I knew that I needed a full overhaul, that I would need to create something from scratch, but I wasn't ready to let go of the one that I had build in 2010. It had taken so much work, so much effort.  How was I just going to delete the entire thing?


Knowing myself, I began to change things slowly, first I updated the website that I had. I changed the home page then I changed the contact me page.  I realized it needed more. I began to change some of the content. 


I hired someone who had marketing skills. she helped me hone in on what I do, what I bring to the world, what I love about my work, and how to bring my message forth.  Then I enlisted someone who had graphic design skills and an amazing way with words. Together we created what everyone can now see as my website.


My goal was two fold. One, I wanted to have a website that was easy to read, and had enough information that individuals, families or organizations who want my services could easily navigate. Two, I wanted it to be beautiful.  After all, life is beautiful and I am a little vain. Beauty speaks to me. I was hoping it would speak to others as well.


There is a part of me that wants to let this change, my website going live, happen and not tell anyone about it. I don't want to talk about the hard work I put in, the months that we worked on it, the thought, and energy that consumed so much of my past few months, because I know the uncomfortable feeling may overwhelm me. I want to pretend that my website always looked the way that it does now. This way, no one will give me feedback, no one will say "Why'd you change it?  I liked the old one better!"  and more importantly no one will criticize it.


However, I stand for honesty and living my truth and stepping courageously into the uncomfortable places in our lives. 


I wonder:

What makes you uncomfortable?
How do you deal with it?

Marketing experts tell me that I need to be online - that I need to have a presence and so here I am.

My new website is live - please check it out www.chanigetter.com
My newsletter is now a blogpost - subscribe to it if you feel so moved http://chanigetter.blogspot.com

I have a YouTube channel where I am beginning to upload workshops and speeches. It is not fully there, and I haven't been very good at taping myself, but I have a few things up already and more will follow  https://www.youtube.com/c/ChaniGetter

Feel free to like my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/chanigetterinc

And if you are on Twitter, please follow me https://twitter.com/ChaniGetter or @Chanigetter

I promise, I'll keep growing and changing and stepping into the uncomfortable places, and maybe, just maybe I'll get better at it. 

Blessings
Chani

No comments:

Post a Comment